Title Prehistoric Mersin, Yumuk Tepe in Southern Turkey
Book Condition Very Good Plus
Jacket Condition Very Good Minus
Edition First Edition
Size 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall
Publisher Oxford, England, UK Clarendon Press 1953
Seller ID 007493
A publication of the series, The Nielson Expedition in Cilicia. Printed and bound in Great Britain. Bright green buckram binding, with gilt-stamped lettering to the spine. Unbumped spine head and tail, with generally unbumped corners. Exceptionally clean binding. Text block firmly bound in. 11.5 x 8.75 inches. Few of the usual ex library markings but previous owner ex libris plate as well as blind-stamp to several of the pages throughout the book. With xvii and 271 numbered pages, including interspersed throughout the text many B&W drawings, site elevations and plans, some full-page. The text section followed by 23 full-page monochrome photoplates on glossy paper depicting excavations and archaic discoveries. Following the plates is a lovely pull-out map illustrating the range of archaeological contacts. Apart from the aforementioned ex library and previous owner markings, an exceptionally clean copy, and very tight. With the original plain paper dust jacket with black-stamped lettering. The DJ is price-clipped. A Very Good Plus copy in a Very Good Minus DJ. "Ongoing [ in 2016] archaeological excavations in one of the world’s oldest settlements, the Yumuktepe tumulus in the southern province of Mersin, have unearthed the remains of a palace. The palace dates to as far back as 4,500 B.C., and the quality of the pavement outside the palace was a big surprise for archaeologists. Traces of settlements at Yumuktepe date back to 7,000 B.C. and settlements continued there until the 13th century. The excavation works in Yumuktepe are currently headed by Professor Isabella Caneva, from the Archeology Department in Italy’s Lecce University. Yumuktepe, also known as Soguksutepe, was founded 9,000 years ago by Neolithic farmers, whose ruined homes now form the core of the archeological ruins. The first excavation was from 1936 to 1938 by J. Garstang. It was the only Neolithic site known of in the Near East until the mid-20th century."